LANGLEY PARK, Md. (WUSA) -- Fifty people are homeless after a fast moving fire tore through their apartment building in Langley Park.
The fire happened Monday night at the Bedford Stations apartments on the 1400 block of University Boulevard.
Tenants say their fight started long before Monday night's fire. They complain of roaches and bedbugs and now they say managers are turning their backs on them.
Mirna Pires got out safely but never heard a fire alarm, only the frantic screams of neighbors. Firefighters say flames started in a 3rd floor bedroom and quickly spread to 11 units.
"We had to pull some firefighters off the roof because of the fire that was shooting out of roof so it was a tenuous situation for about 20 minutes," said Fire Chief Marc Bashoor.
The fire chief says management may place tenants in vacant units and the Red Cross is assisting but tenants tell us a different story. "I don't have a place to stay tonight," said one tenant.
We tried calling management several times but no one answered their emergency line.
The cause of the fire is being determined.